Monday, October 26, 2009

Early (rude) awakening

Lately I’ve been feeling pretty good about my level of fitness following my jogging stroller runs with Babe-O.  Most days it would be a race-pace 5k and my times were generally good, even though I haven’t done any serious training in years.

 

Today, I got up in the morning around five, moved Babe-O from her crib to out bed, and hit the gym.  I jumped on the treadmill, cranked it up to around the pace I’d been running on the road and set it for thirty minutes.  About ten minutes in, I realized something was up. 

 

I was seriously winded, pretty queasy, and despite moving at close to top cruising speed, waaaay off pace.

 

Then it hit me.  I’d been basing my workouts on the odometer built into Babe-O’s stroller.  And as it turns out, the odometer built into Babe-O’s stroller is (apparently) way, way off.

 

Thirty minutes later, owchiwawa.  My legs ached, my lungs burned, and I’m pretty sure I had a mid-sized aneurism at the 18 minute mark.  I guzzled some water, took a long shower, and went to work.

 

Looks like getting back into shape isn’t going to be quite as easy as it might have seemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment