Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Covert Electrical Work

Lately I've been pretty keyed up...not sleeping well at night, up late with little projects, up early to go to the office...that sort of thing.

The timing has been good, as Amy has been sick and doing a lot of sleeping and I've been left to my own devices once she and Babe-O are in bed for the night.

So tonight, the girls were both in bed by about ten and I decided to see if I could make some progress on Babe-O's playroom without waking anybody up. So far we've installed hardwood floors, painted, and installed trim. The nagging loose ends -- stuff that I need two baby-free hands to do -- include replacing all of the electrical switches/outlets with pretty white ones and putting up a ceiling fan that's been sitting in a box in the hallway for a few months now.

The fan is a must, since the existing overhead light provides all the ambiance of a police interrogation room with none of the charm. You can't tell in this picture, but one of the bulbs is even burned out just for good measure. In the otherwise super cute and tidy playroom, the light looks quite sad and pathetic.

So anyway, I snuck out to the garage for a ladder and down to the basement for screwdrivers and electrical stuff. Once I was all set up and had the fan out of the box, I went back down to the basement to take care of the circuit breaker. Unfortunately, our house is wired for the ever handy bedroom/hallway/bedroom circuit, so when I flicked it off, Amy lost power in our room, killing the TV she falls asleep to and rustling her sick self out of bed to find out what the hell was going on.

So much for letting her be surprised in the morning.

My cover blown, I went back to working on the fan and she went back to bed. It took a little over an hour, but the thing is done. I'm pretty happy with the one-hour timeframe when you take into account all of the tiptoeing and careful sneaking around needed to keep the girls from waking up (again).

Here it is, all done and ready for action.

I took a shower, headed downstairs, and am now writing this blog post while I watch an old movie and eat Cocoa Pebbles.

Also, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has ideas on how to drive nails without banging on them with a hammer. If I can figure that out, my nighttime project possibilities will open up considerably.

1 comment:

  1. well - no QUIET ways to drive nails anyway. Sorry - that's what glue is for :)

    Nice job though - better than I could do - was never good at home electrical stuff. I hired electrician for all our ceiling fans, but then - all of our ceiling fans needed fixtures put in and then tied to the switches that were tied to outlets... there were NO ceiling fixtures in ANY room of this house except the kitchen. Was very annoying. :) but now there's a fan in almost every room. :)

    ReplyDelete