Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Corporate Travel, Sick Baby, and Sick Everybody Else

So I guess it started when I had to go out of town on business. It was last week and I was up at something like five in the morning on the way to the airport. My flight left at six, or so I thought.

After standing around for a while with about twenty of my coworkers who were also trying to get down to Orlando, we learned that our flight had been diverted because of fog. The next flights out were much later that day and I rebooked myself a seat on a 3:30, grabbed some egg mcmuffins, and went home.

The good news? I had a company car so I hadn't dragged the girls out of bed. The better news? I got to spend a day hanging out with the family instead of puttering around the Ritz futzing with my laptop.

It was a good day and I was well received on account of the egg mcmuffins.

I went back to the airport that afternoon and made it to the hotel by ten p.m. or so. I was there working for a couple of days, managed to enjoy a couple of open bars, and was glad to be on my way home after keeping busy down in Florida.

After getting home around midnight, Babe-O was already asleep, but I managed to nuzzle her halfway awake to give her the little Mickey Mouse I had picked up for her. She looked up at me with adorable sleepiness and studied the little Mickey for a while before smiling and giving it a hug. Very sweet.

The rest of this is kind of a blur, but I'll try to piece it together.

I had work related to my trip that had to be done in a very timely manner, so I went to bed at about 1 a.m. and got up at 5ish to go to the office. I got a lot done that day and then came home not feeling well. I was up sick much of the night and went to the office at 4:30 to finish getting done what needed to get done. By lunchtime I was done with anything pressing and went home to be ill.

Then Amy got sick. She wasn't feeling well that night and ended up sleeping in the bathroom, throwing up about every half hour. The next day, she was pretty much out of commission so I decided to try to work from home and take care of Babe-O while she slept off the ugliness of the previous night.

That was going fine, until about ten a.m. when I was trying to reply to an e-mail and was interrupted by a couple of good SPLATs as baby vomit flew threw the air to land first in the dead center of my laptop keyboard (still smells funny) and then all over the right hand side of my screen (still streaky).

Luckily, by that point any work that was absolutely on fire was all done and anything else could wait until the little one was sleeping.

That was Friday.

I spent that day and most of the weekend feeling fine myself but the poor kid was just a pathetic little wreck. I felt awful for her, but she was a trooper all the way through.

Love that baby. And man, it is brutal to watch her suffer.

Oh. Also, Amy is fine now, too. It is also brutal to watch her suffer, but she gets mean when she's sick, so it's easier not to feel so bad for her.


1 comment:

  1. <> As long as Amy realizes that, you should be safe. I tend to hide when my wife is sick - she starts to notice dust falling onto bookcases an she tried to direct me to clean things since she can't get around.

    Glad the WHOLE house is mending, even or especially Amy. :o)

    ReplyDelete