Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How to Fix a Wet Cell Phone (Really!)


So this is the last photo I took using my BlackBerry. It might not be obvious at a glance, but it shows a glorious moment in time as the phone traveled from my hand to the bottom of Babe-O's bath.

She was being damn adorable in the tub and I pulled my phone out to grab a picture. Babe-O, seeing the phone, decided to show off her latest trick, where she spreads her arms out to each side and flings herself backwards: cute in a big cushy bed, not so much in a full bathtub.

My arms shot out and grabbed her before she went under the water and/or smacked her head, apparently letting the phone fly along the way. It sank to the bottom and sat there for a good ten or fifteen seconds before I got the little one straightened out and sitting upright again.

Not sure what the odds of this are, but just the other day, I saw a commercial for some new quiz show type deal. The question they showed asked how to save a cell phone that's been soaked. The answer was to put it in a bowl of dry white rice.

So I did. I took the back off, pulled the battery out, and put all the pieces into a bowl of rice. The next morning I turned the phone on. It struggled for about two minutes with the little hourglass spinning around and then fired right up.

There's a little condensation still on the inside of the glass, but other than that, good as new. (And, to be honest, it already had condensation under the glass from a few weeks ago when I spilled my water bottle all over it in the middle of the night.)

Yesterday was a really crummy day for me and the phone thing was the icing on the cake. Can't tell you what a good feeling it is to catch a goofy break and not be shelling out of a new one right now.

5 comments:

  1. I had heard this works, but am fortunate that I've not had to give it a go.

    My youngest is eight. If my cell phone ends up in the bathtub, she likely did it on purpose . . .

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great temporary fix, but be prepared. Once they get wet, the insides corrode and it'll just stop working on you one day.

    I worked for 4 years in technical support for a wireless company that shall remain nameless. I've heard this story more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @thecheekofgod
    in that case, I'd keep an eye on the toilet, too.

    @pamela
    thanks for the heads up, but i'm not worried. i'll surely accidentally drop my phone off a cliff or step on it or something before it has a chance to corrode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See - we're still using that cool bathseat like you guys had... easier to keep control of MIkki and she's still happy using it... I tried a bath without anything in the kitchen sink - and she almost cracked her head more times than I can count on the granite counter. Bath seat it is... :) glad the phone is working anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The old white rice trick. I have heard from a few people that it works.

    ReplyDelete