Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Zero to Sickie in 3.9 hours

I was home at lunch today and all was well. Babe-O helped me make a sandwich and then happily crashed her Jeep into the pets while I ate and Mom-O got some work done.

By the time I got home again at the end of the day, it was a different story. She was low key and pretty clingy. Her nose was running and she kept sleeping. Looks like she's a little sick.

We've been through this once or twice before, so we know that Babe-O is a trooper when she's sick.

Still, her bath was short-lived and she pretty much shrieked all the way through putting her PJs on. This was partially due to her being tired and partially due to me trying to stuff her into pajamas that are extremely cute but also ridiculously difficult to operate. Her hands got stuck in the sleeves and I had to fish her arms through the holes like I was yanking a tiny hamster out of a baby python. Only the hamster was a thrashing little fist and the python was soft and covered in purple flowers.

Regardless, we got through it with both of us still in one piece and I took Babe-O downstairs to drink some boob and go to sleep.

By "go to sleep" of course I mean hang out with me for the next three hours. After a few attempts, the crib wasn't happening, so we gave Babe-O the sick kid benefit of the doubt and let her hang out for a while.

She was in a pretty punchy mood and for really the first time ever she and I just sat on the couch and watched TV together. We played a little, which was kind of like horsing around with a stoned, affectionate dwarf – definitely a weird mood for the little one. Finally, after laughing at the sleeping cat, crawling all over me like a bird grooming a bison, and repeatedly poking the hell out of a stuffed pink bunny, Babe-O went to sleep.

It's all just in time for me to do some work, crank out a blog post, and zonk out on the couch while my endlessly productive wife continues building her online empire. She generally works into the night since it's hard to get much done around here during the day that isn't baby-centric. Before long, I'll be lovingly curled up with my biggest, fluffiest dog…that is, until I wake up to a swift kick in the spine when it's time to go upstairs for the night (I'm a heavy sleeper).

Wish us luck with sick baby. I'm hoping she's at least got a good night's sleep ahead of her. Us too.

1 comment:

  1. With regard to said "swift kick in the spine"...it's your ASS, man, you're confusing your spine with your ASS.

    =)

    ReplyDelete