Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Santa was here! (sorry you missed him)

Poor Babe-O. Tonight she ventured out with Mom-O while Daddy stayed home to finish up an unusually troublesome magazine article about the Cunard cruise line. Later I would learn that while I was bashing my head into the computer screen, Mom-O was bashing skulls in department store parking lots during the pre-Christmas Eve retail rush.

While my two best girls were out and about, I got a visit from Santa Clause. Every year a fire truck slowly makes its way through our neighborhood (and I assume others), complete with flashing lights and Santa standing on the back with a bullhorn. I'm not sure what he yells into the bullhorn, because the truck always makes the dogs go ballistic barking, but I assume it alternates between "Merry Christmas" and "Only you can prevent forest fires."

It's a pretty cool thing that our neighborhood has. Once when I was growing up, I saw the Easter Bunny in a police car, but that's a whole different story.

So Santa came and went while Babe-O was experiencing the true spirit of the holiday, throwing elbows in the aisles at Target. Which is too bad, because so far it seems like she really gets into the holiday spirit. She freekin' loves a little singing reindeer that Mom-O's aunt and uncle were kind enough to send us home with the last time we visited. She'll watch that thing dance around all day if you let her. She's also a big fan of this year's stuffed Hallmark holiday figures, which dance around and sing about binge holiday eating.

Holiday aside, she just likes stuff with flashing lights – so I do wish she could have seen it.

Oh well…Ho ho ho. There's always next year!

2 comments:

  1. You are a trip "Dad-o" -

    We had Santa come through here too and little miss M got to see him - she also got her picture taken like a good little jewish girl :) over at Delaware humane with the puppies.

    My daughter likes the pretty lights when I light the candles for chanukah - budding pyro that one. Oh and this she loves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5_OSsawz4

    See you guys Sunday I hope! have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always did think that Chanukah made much better use of fire than Christmas.

    Have a great holiday (or holi-8-days, as it may be).

    ReplyDelete