Monday, February 1, 2010

Dad-O, God of Lightning

Static electricity is starting to affect my quality of life.

First it was just cute that the baby's hair would occasionally stand up on end when she wore hooded coats, but lately it's been out of control.

I blame my slippers, but whatever the cause, I get shocked every time I touch anything. One doorknob in particular HURTS.

When I pet the cat at night it looks like he's on fire. Luckily he's kind of a freak, likes it rough, and doesn't mind.

The dogs think I abuse them for fun and run away every time they get shocked.

Yesterday, I went to adjust the volume on the DVD player and it caused such a zap that the display scrambled and the external speakers crapped out instantaneously.

What the hell? Is there anything I can do about this? I'm afraid I'm going to touch off a grease fire in the kitchen or blow myself up at a gas pump. Little help?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the house is dry - humidity if i recall correctly can help reduce static electricity. Other than that - start keeping little 'grounding stations' nearby that you can ground on before you touch other stuff - will hurt you but not the others... would be a true selfless act - not that pulling q-tips isn't selfless enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 2nd the suggestion for adding some humidity! Especially if you have forced air heat your house can be substantially drier in the winter. You can get a cool air humidifier pretty reasonably at the drug store or discount store.
    I have to run one in each of our bedrooms all winter long in order to keep the dry air induced nose bleeds at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to
    say that I have really loved browsing your blog posts.

    After all I'll be subscribing to your feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

    Here is my site: baby girl nursery bedding
    my page :: baby girl Nursery Bedding

    ReplyDelete