Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Naptime: wusses need not apply

Lately Babe-O has begun using elementary terrorist tactics so influence her circumstances at naptime, namely to move the situation away from "it's naptime" and towards "do whatever you want, sweetie." And man, the other day I was working from home and for the first time really learned what a powder keg this place is during the napping hours.

First of all…no moving is allowed unless absolutely necessary. And anything that makes any noise (with the exception of Elmo on TV) is strictly off limits. If the floor creaks, you're a dead man. If the dog does anything to imply that she might be about to bark, you must pounce like you're trying to contain a hand grenade blast and then drag the animal outside before any nap-disrupting noises can be emitted.

Delivery guys need to be intercepted at the sidewalk before they have a chance to slam the truck door or – god forbid – get anywhere near the doorbell.

I actually unplugged my external keyboard down in my office because the laptop keys clack less. Naptime is intense and when I'm here I spend the entire hour or so completely wound up and terrified that I'm gonna hear Babe-O's sad little whimper, followed by her militant screaming.

Lucky (for me), I'm generally not here for naptime. But thanks to the magic of Twitter, I can catch a glimpse of how naptime is going from a safe distance. Here's a round-up of tweets from today, starting with the most recent and working backwards.

@HappyMomAmy
you know what a 9 month old who's slept 40 minutes in an entire day is? LOUD & CRANKY. Oh, and mad. She's attempting to damage my ear drums.
about 9 hours ago from web

@HappyMomAmy
apparently that sleep jag was to lull me into a false sense of security. worse now than before. hood is back over ears.about 9 hours ago from web

@HappyMomAmy
update: hostage released, ears recovering nicely. =) HappyMomAmy might be happy again!
about 9 hours ago from web

@HappyMomAmy
2 hours and 20 minutes later...SHE SLEEPS! VICTORY IS MINE!!! or something like that. ah, sweet silence. my ears are so relieved.about 9 hours ago from web

@HappyMomAmydisclaimer: before anyone worries, i'm sitting 2 feet from her. she's in her swing (NOT napping). (I have to, the #$@! batteries are dead!)about 10 hours ago from web

@HappyMomAmy
dear tweeps: 9 month old is holding me hostage. please send a coke float from wendy's and some ear plugs. don't mind the screaming. thanks.about 10 hours ago

It's a wild ride as you can see. I'm just glad I've got someone at home holding down the fort day after day. Mom-O (@HappyMomAmy)

 rocks.

4 comments:

  1. I will fully admit - Mom-O is a strong woman than I who daycares Mikki for a reason. :) Bow down to that woman every day my man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does rock. I read her tweets and felt really sorry for her yesterday. Sugarbaby, my 13 month old used to do that to me. She has my sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ilanna
    I bow, I bow!

    @ashley
    I like that twitter helps me know what to expect when I get home.

    @april
    Glad to hear that...we aren't crazy!

    ReplyDelete